Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon implemented and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph received its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so performed the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also an issue and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which happens to be the St. Joseph Open fire Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the individuals after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and canine care. Soon after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the conflict ended individuals were able to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for a while, before the stock market crash in 1929. get more info Also, at the moment, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Together with the depression effecting everyone in town, the city needed to stay together more than ever. Through a national offer, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially inserted the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph got a people of around 1050, losing 10 heroic soldiers to the war. The community remained strong and continued to improve the Village, adding a water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its normal water supply, and continues to take action.